My Review on Backstreet Boys Show Em What You're Made Of Movie

The excitement for the Backstreet Boys Show Em What You're Made Of movie had started a few months earlier. When the band announced that they were doing a documentary, the fans went wild! It was first shown on the Backstreet Boys Cruise 2014, so there were lots of very excited and lucky fans who got to see it first and then it was premiered in the USA, this January 2015.
It had lots of good and positive reviews from both fans and critics. I couldn't wait to see what all the fuss was about. It was hard trying to avoid clips and previews from fans and whoever else posted bits of it online as I personally wanted it all to be a pleasant surprise.
Without giving too much away for those that haven't yet seen it, I'm going to share my thoughts and opinions on it.
I really give the movie a ten out of ten; for the entertainment value, the plot and the footage. Watching it, it give me goosebumps when it showed the guys individual background stories. Most of us fans have heard or read about where they each come from but seeing it, it made it feel real. The place where Kevin grew up which lays a lot of memories of his late father, I thought it looked like such a beautiful place and I could see why he loved it there so much (besides having his father's memory). It was such a heartfelt moment seeing Kevin reliving the thoughts, memories and emotions being there. I'm very sure his dad would be so proud of his son. Then it took us to visit the music teacher that found Brian's voice and they said about how he (the teacher) was wary of which direction to take him on based on his vocal range. Going from positive, encouraging and fond memories to recent events of his vocal condition called Vocal Tension Dysphonia which was saddening to see. I thought it was very mature to face this together as a group despite it being upsetting which I could totally understand. When you have to live with something that affects not only your every day life but your work too, the last thing you want is to actually discuss it because then you have to confront it which is not easy. We were brought to AJ's school where he recited a part of his prose from a performance, he did as a child. I thought this was very cute and impressive at how he could remember it so well after all this time. It was good how they alternated between him reciting it now and back then (as it showed clips/photos from each member). The movie didn't explore too much into his troubles but I think it did not really need to be addressed as it already has previously. At the scene where it showed AJ and his friend, talking about their former antics, as much as it made me laugh, it did gross me out at a certain little bit, ha ha! I won't say what it was that made me go "yuck!" as I don't want to spoil the whole movie for you. The cutest bit with AJ and the whole of the movie was seeing Ava!  The time at Howie's family home and it was lovely hearing the stories of what he used to get up to. The part when it took us to Nick's childhood area helped the viewer to understand just how difficult it was for him, growing up. It definitely hit more seeing it, emotionally. Seeing how much his school teacher influenced him really was heartwarming. 
Going into the part with Lou Pearlman, whilst most people would simply vilify him as a person, I actually felt sorry watching how the success of BSB had led him to the point of greed and self importance. The revelation of how much his case had cost actually shocked me. It was evident at the hurt and shaken memories caused by the former manager and it was rather bittersweet. The guys handled this very well considering what had happened and I take my hat off to them. 
The movie gave us a brilliant insight into what happens during the process of making a new album without being the primary focus. As a creative person myself, I could see how much fun they have together and how hard it can be, working with four other people who each had their own idea/tastes etc. I loved hearing the songs being played throughout it, it broke it up and fitted everything together nicely. 
I would like to congratulate AJ,Nick, Brian, Howie and Kevin for creating such a wonderful movie that is honest, raw, funny and informative. They certainly should be proud of who they are, where they come from, the success and what they have achieved over the past 22 years. The movie showed how passionate, strong and talented the guys are. In my opinion, I laughed, empathised and felt proud at watching the movie. I have even more love, respect and understanding of the band. One thing about this movie is that despite all the success, fame and media hype that surrounds them, is that the guys are just humans with feelings. This is something that is definitely evident in the movie. I know I have missed several bits out on this review but I really did not want to ruin it for those who have not yet seen it. Overall, I really enjoyed watching the movie and I am personally hoping that it will be released on DVD so I can show other people what they are made of. I apologise if I have repeated myself at all but I wanted to be honest and write down my own thoughts about the movie. Here's to the next 20 years where the Backstreet Boys will have still Got It Goin' On and be The One for many of us!! After the movie, we were treat to a live performance which I truly loved as I enjoy hearing them sing. They all sounded amazing!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children with Gadgets

Child Prodigy

How I Created This Eye Look!!