What’s A Fandom?

Hi everyone!

Hope you’re all doing okay and enjoying the beginning of 2018?? I can’t believe it’s almost the end of January. Anyway in this post, I want to talk about ‘Fandoms’. For those that don’t know what it is... it’s where say a community of fans whether it being a band, artist, film etc and they kind of group together like a family as such. 
Many people think that fandoms are full off crazy, sad and immature people But I disagree. For me, being a part of a fandom has been positive. Yes, there are some crazies out there but you get this in every fandom. I will admit that I am a part of the Backstreet Boys (BSB) fandom and I am glad. 
I found myself in this fandom in around 2013 and 2014 during a time where I felt lost, alone and at my lowest. I had been hospitalised twice with a five week space in between so I was on the road to recovery and building myself up again. Without going into too much detail, I started meeting people online who were also fans of the Backstreet Boys. I felt like the people within the fandom accepted me, they looked past me being disabled. Even though I have a very likeable personality and I am very friendly, it is not always easy to make friends due to people not always knowing how to befriend somebody with a disability. For many people like myself, who are unable to get out as much as their friends and family, and it can get a little lonely. I’m lucky that I have wonderful people around me but there are some who have no one. So the fandom can be like a family to them, which I personally think is really nice.
There are many other reasons why it’s great being part of the fandom and I am going to discuss these with you. As the Backstreet Boys are the worlds’ biggest boy band, you’ll realise that they have fans from all over. From the USA, Canada, and across Europe plus many more places around the world. You get to learn more about different cultures from the people you chat to online and meet in person if you’re lucky to go on a cruise etc, like the Backstreet Boys and New Kids On The Block (NKOTB) have. I made a friend in Belgium who I still keep in contact with. Interacting within the fandom of whatever it may be that you’re a fan of, it gives a person a sense of belonging. For me personally, I have made some wonderful friends and I’m thankful for having them in my life. They all know who they are. It’s a form of escapism for many people; we all go through the good and hard times and being in a fandom can really help someone. I feel being a fan in a fandom brings unity, passion and loyalty across the world. You all have one thing in common and that’s the love, adoration and respect you have for the band etc. You share the highs and the lows of the band together. No one else understands like your fellow fandom members. So, don’t be afraid to admit that you are a part of a fandom for whatever it may be for and embrace your fellow fandom fanmilly (yes I deliberately put that word in here!) 
I’m going to finish here but I may add to this post if I think of anything that I have missed out but thank you for taking the time to read this. Take care and I shall see you in my next post xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children with Gadgets

Child Prodigy

How I Created This Eye Look!!